Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Return of the Prodigal Son

In college, I have encountered the book "The Return of the Prodigal Son" in one of my theology classes. I do not remember what the book says, neither what my professor has taught me about the book. The only thing that I am sure is I have felt something strongly about that book and what my professor has said to me and my classmates that I have tried to search for it in all the bookstores that I know. But unfortunately, at that time, it was always out of stock. Just now, I just remember that book because it is one of the topics that my friend Vanessa and I have been talking about because we are planning to go to a Rembrandt exhibit at the National Museum of Western Art in Tokyo this coming Sunday. It will be our last opportunity, as of now, to see the paintings of Rembrandt here in Japan because the exhibit will be moved to another country, and the last day of that exhibit will be this coming Sunday. One of the famous painting of Rembrandt is The Return of the Prodigal Son, which is the inspiration of the said book I am talking about. So now, I searched if amazon.jp has stock for this book, and I saw it, but I just browsed on the pages provided by the site. This paragraph struck me the most:



But what about of the father? Why pay so much attention to the sons when it is the father who is in the center and when it is the father with whom I am to identify? Why talk so much about being like the sons when the real question is: Are you interested in being like the father? It feels somehow good to be able to say: "These sons are like me." It gives a sense of being understood. But how does it feel to say:"The father is like me"? Do I want to be not just the one who is being forgiven, but also the one who forgives; not just the one who is being welcomed home, but also the one who welcomes home; not just the one who receives compassion, but the one who offers it as well?

In my whole life, I thought I know how to really forgive. Until now, I know that I am nowhere near to the father's forgiving nature. But one thing I know I am sure of: that I want to be like the father. That everyday and every moment, I try to become like him, because I know a glimpse of how to be a son returning to his father, and the brother who also stayed. And Someone is creating a path that is showing me that my ultimate purpose is something not in this world, something eternal. 
I have seen how a small thing can be a vital piece in a puzzle. 
I have seen how my pains and others' pains can turn into joy, how every encounter with everything or anyone can be significant in my life.
And finally, I have seen how He works in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment